Azad M. Madni
Professor of Astronautics
Technical Director, Systems Architecting and Engineering Program
University of Southern California
Department of Astronautical Engineering
854B Downey Way
Los Angeles, California 90089-1192
Dr. Madni received his B.S., M.S., and Ph.D. in Engineering from the University of California, Los Angeles, in 1968, 1971 and 1978, respectively. He is also a graduate of the AEA/Stanford Executive Institute program for senior executives.
Prof. Azad Madni's research has been sponsored by several government agencies including DARPA, DHS S&T, DTRA, OSD, MDA, ONR, AFOSR, AFRL, ARI, ARL, RDECOM, CECOM, NAVAIR, NAVSEA, SPAWAR, DOE, NIST, NASA His research has also been sponsored by major aerospace companies including Boeing, Raytheon, and Northrop Grumman Corporation. He is a AAAS Fellow, AIAA Fellow, IEEE Life Fellow, IETE Life Fellow, INCOSE Fellow, and SDPS Fellow. He has received several awards from DoD, the commercial sector, and professional societies, including the 2011 INCOSE Pioneer Award, SBA’s 1999 National Tibbetts’ award for California, 2000 Blue Chip Enterprise award for California from Mass Mutual and the US Chamber of Commerce, the C.V. Ramamoorthy Distinguished Scholar Award in 2006, the President’s award in 2008 from the Society of Design and Process Science, and Developer of the Year award in 2000, and 2004 from the Technology Council of Southern California. Professor Madni is the CEO and chief scientist of Intelligent Systems Technology Inc , a company he co-founded over 20 years ago. He is listed in Who’s Who in Science and Engineering, Who’s Who is Industry and Finance and Who’s Who in America.
Complex System Analysis and Design; Complexity Management; Socio-technical Systems; Modeling and Simulation; Model Based Engineering; Engineered Resilient Systems; Integration of Humans with Adaptable Systems; STEM Education Simulations/Games;
At USC Viterbi School of Engineering:
- SAE 547, Model Based Systems Architecting and Engineering (3 years), 2011-2013
- SAE 548, Systems/System-of-Systems Engineering (2 semester), 2012-2014
- SAE 549, Systems Architecting (foundational course for SAE Program; 4 years), 2009-2013
At other venues:
- Creating “Sweaty Palms Effect” Through Modeling and Simulation Technology (U.S. Navy, Center for Surface Combat Systems)
- Process Modeling and Simulation for Manufacturing, and Concurrent Design/Engineering (Hughes Aircraft Company, Raytheon Co., Northrop Grumman Corp., Amgen, SPAWAR)
- Developing and Managing High Performance Organizations ( SPAWAR Systems Center)
- Intelligent Systems Technologies: Current Status and Future Prospects, Tel Aviv, Israel (Israel Aircraft Industry, Israeli Air Force, Tadiran)
- Battlefield Artificial Intelligence and Robotics. State of the Arts Seminar/ IDEA (London, Paris, Munich, D.C., Boston, Orlando, Los Angeles)
- SDI Information Management, UCLA Extension
- Intelligent Interfaces in Man-Machine Systems, UCLA Extension
- Smart Systems and Human Factors in Battlefield Robotics, UCLA Extension
- Decision Aids Technology: Concepts, Systems and Applications, UCLA Extension
- Kalman Filtering Theory and Applications, Rockwell International
Professional Societies and Service
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- Association of Computing Machinery (ACM)
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA)
- American Society of Engineering Education (ASEE)
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Institute of Industrial Engineers (IIE)
- Institution of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineers (IETE)
- Member of Administrative Committee of IEEE SMC (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Systems, Man, and Cybernetics Society), 1985-1987
- General Chair of 1990 IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics
- Program Chair of 1990 IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics
- Member of IEEE Computer Society Fellows Selection Committee, 2013-present
- Co-Founder and Co-Chair of IEEE SMC Society’s Model Based Systems Engineering Technical Committee (2013-present)
- International Council on Systems Engineering (INCOSE)
- Member of INCOSE’s Fellow Selection Committee, 2006-2011
- Member of INCOSE’s Corporate Advisory Board (CAB), 2009-present
- Society for Design and Process Science (SDPS)
- Editor-in-Chief of Journal of Integrated Design and Process Science, 2006-2011
- President, SDPS (Society for Design and Process Science) 2006-2008
- Editorial Board of Human Factors and Ergonomics in Manufacturing (2009-2011)
- Affiliate of USC Center for Systems and Software Engineering (CSSE) (2006-present)
- Program Committee Member of several National and International Conferences (CERC (Concurrent Engineering Research Center), FAIM (Forum for Artificial Intelligence in Management), IEEE SMC (The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Systems, Man, and Cybernetics Society), INCOSE (International Council on Systems Engineering), ICSE (International Conference on Systems Engineering), IJCAI (International Joint Conferences on Artificial Intelligence))
- General Chair of 2006 Ninth World Conference on Integrated Design and Process Technology
- Technical Program Chair of 2008 Conference on Systems Engineering Research (CSER)
- Member of Industrial Advisory Board of USC’s Systems Architecting and Engineering (SAE) Program, 2005-2009
- General Chair of 2011 Conference on Systems Engineering Research (CSER)
- General Chair of 2014 Conference on Systems Engineering Research (CSER)
- Keynote & Plenary Speaker at several International and National Conferences (e.g., CSER, IEEE AIAA, INCOSE, HAAMAHA)
- Keynote Speaker at Caltech-MIT Enterprise Forum, LARTA, Business Consultants Conference
- Member of Visiting Advisory Council (VAC), Epstein Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering, University of Southern California, 2006-2009
- Past Member of Dean’s Council, School of Engineering, University of California, Los Angeles
Honors and Awards
- Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- Life Fellow of Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineering (IEEE)
- Fellow of American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA)
- Fellow of International Council on Systems Engineering (INCOSE)
- Fellow of Society for Design and Process Science (SDPS)
- Life Fellow of the Institution of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineers (IETE)
- 2013 Second Prize in Innovation in Curriculum Development from Institute of Industrial Engineering
- 2013 Susan C. Ruth Distinguished Service Award from INCOSE-LA
- 2012 INCOSE-LA Exceptional Achievement Award for Transformative Advances in Multi-disciplinary Approaches to Systems Engineering
- 2011 INCOSE Pioneer Award for Seminal Contributions to System Science and Engineering and to Society
- 2008 President’s Award from the Society of Design and Process Science at Eleventh World Conference on Integrated Systems, Design and Process Science
- 2006 C.V. Ramamoorthy Distinguished Scholar Award from the Society of Design and Process Science at the Ninth World Conference on Integrated Design and Process Technology
- 2004 Developer of the Year Award from the Technology Council of Southern California
- Sustained Excellence by a Performer, 2004 DARPATech, Information Processing Technology Office (IPTO)
- Significant Technical Achievement, 2004 DARPATech, Information Processing Technology Office (IPTO)
- 2000 Developer of the Year Award from the Technology Council of Southern California
- 2000 Blue Chip Enterprise Award for entrepreneurship from Mass Mutual and U.S. Chamber of Commerce
- Distinguished CEOs of Computerworld’s Top 100 Emerging Companies to Watch (2000)
- SBA’s National Tibbetts Award for California for Excellence in Technology Innovation (1999)
- Listed in Marquis Who’s Who in Science and Engineering, Who’s Who in Industry and Finance, and Who’s Who in America
Recent 20 Refereed Journal Articles in Print or Accepted for Publication
- Madni, A.M. Expanding Stakeholder Participation in Upfront System Engineering Through Storytelling in Virtual Worlds; accepted by Systems Engineering, 2014.
- Madni, A.M. “A Systems Perspective on Compressed Sensing and its Use in Reconstructing Sparse Networks, IEEE Systems Journal, Vol. 8, Issue 1, March 2014..
- Madni, A.M. and Sievers, M. “System of Systems Integration: Key Considerations and Challenges,” Systems Engineering, Volume 17, Number 2, 2014.
- Madni, A.M. and Sievers, M. “Systems Integration: Key Perspectives, Experiences, and Challenges,” Systems Engineering, Volume 16, Number 4, 2013.
- Madni, A.M. “Generating Novel Options During Systems Architecting: Psychological Principles, Systems Thinking, and Computer-Based Aiding,” Systems Engineering, Volume 16, Number 4 2013.
- Neches, R. and Madni, A.M. “Towards Affordably Adaptable and Effective Systems,” Systems Engineering, Vol. 15, No. 1, 2012.
- Madni, A.M. “Elegant Systems Design: Creative Fusion of Simplicity and Power, Systems Engineering, Vol. 15, No. 3, 2012.
- Madni A. “Adaptable Platform-Based Engineering: Key Enablers and Outlook for the Future,” Systems Engineering, Volume 15, Number 1, 2012.
- Madni, A.M. “Producing the Best for Aerospace and Defense: USC’s Systems Architecting and Engineering Program,” Astropolitics, 9:165-172, 2011.
- Madni, A.M. “Heuristic Development of the Generalized Inverse,” Journal of Integrated Design and Process Science, June 2011, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 1-7.
- Madni, A.M. “Game-based Simulation for Cross-Cultural Decision Making Training,” Human Factors and Ergonomics in Manufacturing & Service Industries Journal, 2011.
- Madni, A.M. “Integrating Humans With and Within Software and Systems: Challenges and Opportunities,” (Invited Paper) CrossTalk, The Journal of Defense Software Engineering, May/June 2011, “People Solutions.”
- Madni, A.M. “Towards a Generalizable Aiding-Training Continuum for Human Performance Enhancement,” Systems Engineering, Volume 14, Number 1, 2011.
- Madni, A.M. “Transdisciplinary System Science: Implications for Healthcare and Other Problems of Global Significance,” Transdisciplinary Journal of Engineering & Science, Vol: 1, No:1, December, 2010, pp.38-54.
- Madni, A.M. “Integrating Humans with Software and Systems: Technical Challenges and a Research Agenda,” Systems Engineering, Vol. 13, No. 3, 2010.
- Moini, A., and Madni, A.M. “Leveraging Biometrics for User Authentication in Online Learning: A Systems Perspective,” IEEE Systems Journal, Special issue on Biometrics Systems, Vol. 3, No. 4, pp. 469-476, December 2009.
- Madni, A.M., and Andrecut, M. “Efficient Heuristic Approaches to the Weapon Target Assignment Problem,” AIAA Journal of Aerospace Computing, Information, and Communication, Vol. 6, pp. 405-415, June 2009.
- Madni, Azad M., and Scott Jackson. "Towards a conceptual framework for resilience engineering." IEEE Systems Journal, 3.2, 181-191, 2009.
- Madni, A.M. with Valerdi, R., Axelband, E., Baehren, T., Boehm, B., Dorenbos, D., Jackson, S., Nadler, G., Robitaille, P., and Settles, S. “A Research Agenda for Systems of Systems Architecting,” International Journal System of Systems Engineering, Vol. 1, Nos. 1/2, pp. 171-188, 2008.
- Madni, A.M. “AgileTecting™: A Principled Approach to Introducing Agility in Systems Engineering and Product Development Enterprises,” Journal of Integrated Design and Process Science, Vol. 12, No. 4, December 2008.
20 Recent Keynotes, Plenary Talks, Invited Presentations and Seminars
- Madni, A.M., Moini, A., and Madni, C. “Cross-Cultural Decision Making Training Using Behavioral Game Theoretic Framework” in Advances in Cross-Cultural Decision Making, Schmorrow, D. and Nichelson, D. (Eds.), CRC Press, 2010.
- Madni, A.M. Assessment of Enabling Technologies for Computer-Aided Concurrent Engineering (CACE), Technology Assessment in Software Applications, (Eds.: Harold F. O'Neil Jr. and Eva L. Baker) Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 1994, pp. 131-152.
- Madni, A.M., and Freedy, A. Intelligent Interfaces for Human Control of Advanced Automation and Smart Systems in Human Productivity Enhancement, Training and Human Factors in Systems Design, Vol. 1, (Ed.: J. Zeidner), pp. 318-331, Praeger, 1986.
- Madni, A., Samet, M., and Purcell, D. Adaptive Models in Information Management, Applications in Artificial Intelligence (Ed.: S. Andriole), Petrocelli Books, Inc., Princeton, NJ, 1985, pp. 279-294.
- Freedy, A., Madni, A., and Samet, M. Adaptive User Models: Methodology and Applications in Man-Computer Systems, Vol. 2, (Ed.: W.B. Rouse) Jai Press Inc., 1985, pp. 249-293.
Editoral Board Member and Reviewer of Publications.
- Madni, A.M., “Experiential and Human Factors Aspects of Elegant Systems Design,” Boeing Professor’s Day, April 2014
- Madni, A.M., and Majchrzak, A. “Revisiting Large-Scale Disruptive Collaboration in the Age of Social Media,” 2013 USC Center for Systems and Software Engineering Annual Research Review, march 14, 2013
- Madni, A.M. “Storytelling to Educate and Persuade: A Healthcare Perspective,” Invited Lecture, Clinical and Translational Science Institute (CTSI) Seminar Series, Keck School of Medicine, January 7, 2013
- Madni, A.M. “Affordable, Adaptable and Effective: The Case for Engineered Resilient Systems,” Invited Provocative Talk, Engineering Resilient Systems Workshop, Keck Institute for Space Studies, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA, July 30-August 3, 2012.
- Madni, A.M. “Systems Engineering for Agility and Affordability,” INCOSE-LA Mini Conference Panel, March 31, 2012
- Madni, A.M. “Human Failure Modes,” CSSE, May 6, 2012
- Madni, A.M. “Systems Engineering Enters a new Era: Plenty of Opportunities…Perhaps Some for You!,” Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers, February 29, 2012.
- Madni, A.M. “Integrating Humans with Software and Systems: Technical Challenges and a Research Agenda,” INCOSE 2010 LA Mini-Conference, Loyola Marymount University, October 16, 2010.
- Madni, A.M. “Integrating Humans with Software and Systems: Technical Challenges and a Research Agenda,” 22nd Annual Systems and Software Technology Conference, Salt Lake City, Utah, April 27, 2010.
- Madni, A.M. “Human-System Integration: Implications for Systems Architecting,” SELP 694 SE Seminar, Loyola Marymount University, March 18, 2010.
- Madni, A.M. “GameSim™: Behavioral Game-Theoretic Framework for Socio-Cultural Training,” Proceedings of the Human Social Culture Behavior (HSCB) Focus 2010 Conference, Chantilly, VA, August 5-7, 2009.
- Madni, A.M. and Madni, C.C. “Rapid Scenario Building and Optimization for Simulation-based Exercises,” Proceedings of the 2009 IEEE International Conference on Technologies for Homeland Security, Waltham, MA, May 11-13, 2009.
- Madni, A.M. “Integrating Human Factors, Software and Systems Engineering: Challenges and Opportunities (Invited Presentation),” Proceedings of the 23rd International Forum on COCOMO and Systems/Software Cost Modeling and ICM Workshop 3, Los Angeles, CA, October 27-30, 2008.
- Madni, A.M. “Research in Serious Games for Teaching Complex Technical Skills:A Systems Approach (Invited Presentation),” Epstein Dept. of Industrial and Systems Engineering, Viterbi School of Engineering, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, May 21-22, 2008.
- Madni, A.M. “AgileTecting™: A Principled Approach to Agile Systems Architecting and Engineering,” 2008 Systems Engineering Symposium “System Engineering Agility,” Northrop Grumman Corporation, May 13, 2008.
- Madni, A.M. “How to Engineer a System of Systems with Emergent Behavior,” Proceedings of the 18th Annual International Symposium of the International Council On Systems Engineering (INCOSE), Plenary Panelist, The Netherlands, June 15-19, 2008.
- Madni, A.M. “AgileTecting™: Placing Agility Where It Counts In System and Software Architecting (Invited Presentation),” USC-CSSE Executive Workshop on Integrating Systems and Software Engineering, Davison Conference Center, Los Angeles, CA, October 29-30, 2007.
- Madni, A.M. “Are New Principles Required to Treat Enterprises as Systems?” Proceedings of 17th Annual International Symposium of the International Council On Systems Engineering (INCOSE), Plenary Panelist, San Diego, CA, June 27, 2007.
- Madni, A.M., Madni, C.C., and Sorensen, B.H. “Simulation-Based Context-Sensitive Learning of Leadership Skills,” Proceedings of the Integrated Design and Process Technology Conference, (IDPT-2007), Antalya, Turkey, June 3-8, 2007.
- Madni, A.M. “Architecture Tradeoff Analysis: A Disciplined Approach to Balancing Quality Requirements,” Ground System Architectures Workshop (GSAW), Architecture-Centric Evolution (ACE) of Software-Intensive Systems Presentation, March 27, 2007.
- INCOSE Systems Engineering Journal ( Strategic Adviser)
- Reviewed books, journal papers and proposals for the following:
- Human Factors and Ergonomics in Manufacturing and Service Industries Journal
- AutoSoft Journal
- Rand Corporation Research Reports
- IEEE Transactions of Systems, Man, and Cybernetics
- IEEE Systems Journal
- IEEE Computers
- Conference for Systems Engineering Research
- Journal of Integrated Design and Process Science
- INCOSE’s Systems Engineering Journal
- National Science Foundation proposals
- Carnegie Mellon University Software Engineering Institute Reports.
Research Center and Institutes.
- Center for System and Software Engineering
- Center for Interactive smart Oilfield Techonologies
- Integrated Media Systems Center (IMSC)
- Center for Technology and Innovation in Pediatrics
- Provost's STEM Consortium